Series and movies of your week. This week, I chose to speak to you about connection. Sometimes the ties we create take control of ourselves…
On the bilingual Movieintheair blog, I do for you a press review every Wednesday and keep the best of national and international audiovisual news.
Many events have happened this week:
- A new cartoon platform for children as from the age of 3 : Benshi
- Festivals will happen this week: Cannes Series, Festival Lumières à Lyon
- A documentary and a series to watch My Octopus teacher & BORGEN
- A must-see movie: JOSEP
- Arte has developed new series you may watch on its platform
Many films are coming out in theaters, new series on your platforms.
Here are the new movies in theaters, the movies to see in theaters, the new series. The best of your television programs and all the news of the festivals.
Quino, Mafalda’s cartoon creator
Kenzo, great fashion creator, and his great ad movies for fashion and perfume, this one shot by Spike Jonze
ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT
My Octopus Teacher
During eight years, filmmaker Craig Foster has been exploring the fauna off the coast of South Africa.
After a burn-out, he decided to go back to the beach of his childhood, Kelp Beach in South Africa, and rediscovered a taste for life thanks to an octopus. In apnea, without a wetsuit, he swam in water at 10°C by 10 to 12 meters deep through a beautiful marine forest in the middle of sharks to get to his friend a female octopus.
During one year Craig Foster, would swim every day with the octopus, and described himself in “a love relationship” with the octopus. He dreamt of the octopus every night and thinks of only one thing, to find her. His love for his animal took control of his life and he confessed it has been so.
Later he passed his passion for this particular forest to his son.
Pictures of Kelp forest and encounters with the octopus are pure moments of magic. And My Octopus Teacher was nominated for an Emmy Award.
Then, Craig Foster created the Sea Change Project foundation.
Directed by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed, with Roger Horrocks (BBC’s ‘Blue Planet II’) for the subsea camera- Production Ellen Windemith
Borgen is a Danish television series created by Adam Price and his co-writers Jeppe Gjervig Gram and Tobias Lindholm.
Played by Sidse Babett Knudsen, it portrays the life of a centrist and upright Danish Prime Minister who struggles between enemies from within and outside. Married to a teacher who takes care of the children full time, the balance between their two lives is difficult to find. Between her role as a woman Prime Minister and her role as a wife and mother, time is running out. Birgitte Nyborg is losing herself into her passion for politics and no-one else can find a place in her life. Despite what she endures, she keeps on.
Katrine, an investigative journalist has an affair with the government’s public relations advisor….
The realism of the plots – we also think of House of Cards, but less violent – and the acting quickly get us hooked.
The main character of the series, Birgitte Nyborg, is said to be inspired by Margrethe Vestager, Denmark’s former Minister of Economy and the Interior, and inflexible European Commissioner for Competition, described as the Danish “iron lady”.
With Sidse Babett Knudsen, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Søren Malling
2. IN MOVIE THEATERS
À coeur Battant, by Keren Ben Rafael
The movie I loved this week
The woman who run away, by Sang-soo Hong.
Billie, by James Erskine (review on the blog)
Kajillionnaire, by Miranda July
Heroes don’t die, by Aude Léa Rapin
As from October 7
Relic, by Natalie Erika James
Fritzi: by Ralph Kukula et Matthias Bruhn; at Le Balzac: a special film show will go on Sunday October 11th at 10.30 A.M. (special breakfast for kids)
Maternal, by Maura Delpero
Mon grand-père et moi, de Tim Hill
Madeleine Riffaud, by Jorge Amat
Les Guerriers de l’Himalaya, by Jerzy Porebski
L’Enfant Rêvé, by Raphaël Jacoulot
En attendant le Carnaval, by Marcelo Gomes
Yalda, La nuit du Pardon, by Massoud Bakhshi
La Puissance de l’Arbre, by Jean-Pierre Duval, with Ernst Zürcher
Israël, Le voyage Interdit, Partie I, by Jean-Pierre Lledo
As from October 14th
Babylon, by Franco Rosso
A Dark Dark Man, by Adilkhan Yerzhanov
Calamity, by Rémi Chayé
Aline, by Valérie Lemercier, biopic on Céline Dion, as from November 11th.
Gagarine, by Lyna Khoudri, as from November 18th.
Bac Nord, by Cédric Jimenez
Minari, by Lee Isaac Chung, produced by Brad Pitt, expected to come out in Spring 2021
Winner of the Grand Prix and Public Prize at the Sundance Film Festival, Minari is about the American dream of a Korean family and is played by Steven Yeun (Jacob), who also played in The Walking Dead .
My Salinger Year, by Philippe Falardeau
3.GOOD TIPS FROM MOVIE PROFESSIONALS
Click to read the entire article:
4. YOUR EVENING TV PROGRAM
Arte: Claire Andrieux, de Olivier Jahan
TCM: L’étrange histoire de Benjamin Button
Paramount: À la poursuite d’Octobre rouge
TF1 Série : Infidèle
Chérie 25: Elle s’appelait Sarah
Paris Première : Les Barbouzes
TCM: Fantastic Mr Fox, by Wes Anderson
Paramount : Drop zone
TCM: La mort aux trousses
France 2 : Saba
Arte : La Sirène du Mississippi by François Truffaut
France 2: Le Hobbit
Canal+ : Chanson douce
Arte : Ku Klux Klan, une histoire américaine
Gulli : Madagascar 2
TF1 Série : Mort sur le Nil
Arte : Enemy, de Denis Villeneuve
TMC: Dirty dancing
On France Télévisions
On France 2, as from October 5th.
Le Mensonge (two first episodes seen at the Festival de La Fiction TV this year), Vincent Garenq series with Daniel Auteuil, adapted from the book written by Christian Iacono.
La Chaîne Parlementaire
LCP offers you a lot of good documentaries: here
La Cinémathèque Française
On Henri plateform, a cult movie everyday
Movies and series to watch
Song Exploder, by Hrishikesh Hirway
Une vie sur notre planète, by David Attenborough, now
L’autre côté (La Valla), now, created by Daniel Ecija
Deaf U, produced by Nyle DiMarco, as from Friday
La révolution, by Aurélien Molas, as from October 16th
Les sept de Chicago, by Aaron Sorkin, as from October 16th, with Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Frank Langella, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Jeremy Strong, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Michael Keaton, John Carroll Lynch & Alex Sharp.
The Queen’s Gambit, as from October 23rd
Brave Blue World, as from October 21st
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom as from December 18th with Chadwick Boseman
Lupin, by Jean-Pierre Jeunet with Omar Sy, as from January 2021
Movies and series to watch
on PRIME VIDEO
The Postcard Killings, by Danis Tanovic, as from October 14th, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Walking Dead series)
Cut Throat City, by RZA, as from October 26th
Borat 2 de Sacha Baron Cohen, as from October 23rd
Rihanna Savage X Fenty Show (now)
Stockholm, by Robert Budreau (now)
Movies and series to watch
The Undoing, created by David E. Kelley, directed by Susanne Bien, with Hugh Grant et Nicole Kidman, as from October 26th
Pahokee by Ivete Lucas, Patrick Bresnan (review here)
Movies and series to watch
on Apple TV
Tehran, by FAUDA ‘s screenwriter, Moshe Zonder. I am looking forward to watching it !
StillWater, animated series adapted from “Zen Shorts” by Jon J. Muth, as from December 4th.
6. AUDIOVISUAL NEWS
- Clint Eastwood is to shoot and play in a new movie Cry Macho
- On The Rocks, by Sofia Coppola will be broadcast on Apple TV
- Jean-Pierre Jeunet is to shoot Big Bug, broadcast on Netflix with Elsa Zylberstein, Isabelle Nanty & Stéphane de Groodt
- Underarted Spielberg’s movies to watch again
- France Télévisions launched a platform for overseas : Outre-Mer, la 1ère
- James Bond and Dune have been postponed next year.
7. EVENTS, FESTIVALS
- Urban Film Festival from October 7th till October 11th. Programme here
- Colombian Festival from October 6th till October 12th: programme here
- Rétrospective Scorsese au Grand Rex à Paris, from October 7th till October 13th
- Festival Cannes Séries from 9 till 14th October Program chere
- Festival International du Film de Saint Jean de Luz: 5 to 11 October. Programme here
- Festival International du Film de la Roche-sur-Yon: 12 to 18 October. Programmhere
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Le Cinéma comme il va, with Les Cahiers du Cinéma October 15th till October 25th
- The African Cinema is doing its cinema. Movies will be broadcast from October 21st till October 24th at the Lincoln Champs Élysées
- As from today and till November 13th, Festival “Tant qu’il y aura du Mélo” at the Forum des Images. Program
- The 19th Fête du Cinéma d’Animation is to begin on October 14th
- The Cannes Film Festival 2020 is coming back on La Croisette from October 27th till October 29th. Program herei
- Festival du Cinéma Indépendant de Bordeaux. Program here
- The Israeli Film Festival in Paris will take place from November 25th till November 29th at the Majestic Passy.
Go and watch movies !